Today's post comes from Adam Turner, Field Marketing Manager at Vail Resorts Retail (VRR) for the Tahoe region. Longtime local and active outdoor enthusiast, Adam’s passions include skiing, winter sports and the Tahoe Outdoors. Adam enjoys the technical side of the snow business always testing new products or mastering his quiver to ensure maximum enjoyment to every condition presented. Maintaining a consciousness about the environment, Adam has actively participated with the Vail Resorts Epic Promise Foundation efforts, engaged with the local biking and trail organizations and generally made clear efforts to engage in the development of Tahoe’s ever growing communities. If you can’t find Adam working diligently on the success of the Tahoe Vail Resorts, you might find him enjoying the many trails or slopes around Lake Tahoe often accompanied by fellow Tahoe enthusiasts!
Winter, and the holidays, has officially arrived. With a new season, the question begs to be asked, what’s the best new winter gear of the year? It’s my favorite question to answer, with each year’s new apparel and gear raising the bar from the previous year. And believe me, 2017 winter apparel and gear is no exception. Needless to say, we’ve come a long way from 80s onesies and Super 8 cameras.
So today I come to you with the best new winter gear and apparel for 2017. Helping me bring it to you, however, are some of Lake Tahoe’s top apparel and gear experts. Find their recommendations below.
1. Hestra Army Leather Heli Ski Glove. The ‘penguin’ 3 finger glove isn’t necessarily a new concept, yet a modern classic ideal for those who are looking for the ability to stay dry and warm on the coldest of powder days. Simply combine the glove shell with any of the many Hestra liners to create the perfect temperature. The handy wrist cuffs even keep your gloves on when you catch that edge and “yard sale!” It’s a must-have for those with low circulation, or, simply put, those with cold hands. It’s available at True North in the Village at Northstar in a variety of sizes and colors. (Retail $145) – Danny Brooks, Tahoe Vail Resorts Retail Accessories Buyer
2. KJUS men’s 7 sphere kit. KJUS has created a layering system, sold as one kit for men, offering the perfect solution for temperature regulation in a variety of weather conditions. The seven-piece system (shell, down jacket, alpha jacket, midlayer, pant, and 2-in-1 glove system) comes in a handy travel case and allows you to choose the right system for that particular day, maximizing your level of comfort. From severe winter to mild spring conditions, you will always have the right apparel selection to choose from. This is a first-class ski apparel system by KJUS, which you can find at True North in the Village at Northstar. ($3999 for the complete kit, though pieces are also sold separately) – Sherri White, Tahoe Vail Resorts Retail Apparel Buyer
3. Oakley Helmets. New to Oakley this year are the Mod 3 & Mod 5 snow helmets. Oakley helmets are designed to integrate seamlessly with the full portfolio of Oakley goggles, and these new models are no exception. The integration system allows for unobstructed airflow through the brim ventilation, in turn creating a better anti-fog system in all weather conditions. Additionally, the helmets feature lightweight materials, a top-of-the-line ABS helmet shell, and MIPS integration (an industry-leading patented brain protection system) to maximize both comfort and safety. They are available at the Oakley store in the Village at Northstar and Heavenly Village. (Mod 3 $140 / Mod 5 $200) – Solomon Arthur, Store Manager Oakley NS Village
4. GoPro Hero5. Simply put, this is the best GoPro yet. Offering a series of upgrades and improvements, the Hero5 boasts new one-button control, waterproof design (even without the housing), touch display, advanced stabilization, stereo audio, GPS, and voice controls, just to name a few new features. Find your GoPro Hero5, plus a variety of mounts and accessories, in the Village at Northstar at True North and Butterbox. (Retail $399) Michael Jorgenson – Store Manager Butterbox NS Village
5. Stockli Skis – Laser AX. Whether on-trail or dipping into the trees or powder stashes, the Laser AX skis offer performance out of the box. You’ll feel the difference in the Stockli construction in the first couple groomed turns, but really notice the added performance when you take them in all conditions. These skis provide enough early rise to be effective in the soft snow and help initiate runs, while featuring a traditional sandwich sidewall construction that generates precision. On- and off-piste, the Laser AX skis are an all-mountain ripper ideal for the variety of trails around Lake Tahoe and beyond. Available at True North in the Village at Northstar. (Retail $1199) - Jason Watts, Tahoe Vail Resorts Retail Ski Buyer